Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Friend A-J

            And speaking of friends…
            We were overdue a catch up, so I reached out to check her travel schedule…
            One of the greatest take-aways from my Div school days back at Vandy has less to do with degrees, more to do with the friendship I carry with me, with one of the world’s foremost authorities on first century Christianity. (Always fun when watching some History Channel special on Jesus and the early church to go “Oh lookie! There’s AJ again.” Yes, I'm bragging, but I'm darned proud of my friend.)
Professor AJ Levine has a pedigree a mile long and is the brainiest woman I know… (“intimidatingly smart” is what I tell her…though she never seems to get that). Having survived the bloody-red papers and final exams of grad school, the gift I had not anticipated was the friendship we’d cultivate after graduation that I'll cherish till the end of my days.
It’s also rather fun to have a friend who reads Greek—I mean, who gets to shoot an email at 3 am asking “Can you tell me what the original word really meant?” when re-reading a gospel.
Yes, AJ’s a jewel alright, and in addition to being one heck of a pal, she was also one gracious (albeit tough) editor on one own books involving Bible words and phrases.
But today’s catch up is all about her latest--a scholarly take on Jesus and his parables…(Did I mention she reads and speaks Greek?)
Can’t wait to get my hands on it. Turns out I get to do that next Tuesday night when the Vanderbilt Barns and Noble bookstore (the one on West End, next to PF Chang’s) hosts a booksigning in her honor~
For more information, here’s her Facebook link:

Short version: Tuesday, September 9th, 7 – 9~  (I know where I’ll be.) Come meet AJ!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you all cultivated a lasting friendship through her teachings.. Sound like she is a very interesting as well as, a very intelligent lady.. I wish her all the best with her book.. Love you post always...

    ReplyDelete

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...