Thursday, September 4, 2014

We Got Your Goat!

   
     The only thing more fun than waking up to a bunch of happy goats, is spending your day with folks who love theirs just as much... Props to my peeps in Norene (that would be you Pat and Miss Katie)...Can't thank you enough for our day and the sharing of your wisdom and your herd.
     Shifting from "Aren't my pets cute?" to "Why aren't I drinking goat's milk already?" I welcomed the invite with open arms only to find it is just as easy to love a larger breed as it is my own.
     Welcome to the world of the Nubian~ the slightly taller, just as friendly, lop-earred goat! They hail from Great Britain; they have what is described as a Roman nose. They're just as people friendly as my pygmies only they stand a good foot or two taller and have more meat on their bones (not that any of us care about that). What we do care about is they produce one heck of a lot more milk that the smaller breeds, though for a first time milker (that would be me--learning the ropes) pygmies give milk too. (It's just that pound for pound, ounce for ounce, those who do this for a living usually opt for a larger breed, for which Nubies are the breed of choice.)
     It's a commitment for sure. Once you take to milking a goat, you can't miss a round and even being late can cost you and hurt them (that's why I'll be doing this only once I have a barn and some help on the premises). But I have to tell you, especially important for those of us who are lactose intolerant, goat's milk is the answer.
     There's nothing to compare for health benefits...But the real beauty of it is the taste! (Trust me. Once you taste goat's milk, you'll  never drink cow's milk again ~ AMAZING!)
     And did I mention goat soaps? Healthiest soap in the world for your skin... (Visit www.salemfarmstn.com to learn more~)
     Yep. This is the next chapter of Karlen's Garden for sure...It was a goat-lovin', note-takin' day! To my fellow goat lovers, we have miles to go before we sleep!
     Stay tuned!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...