Monday, July 14, 2014

Abraham, Martin and John (Seigenthaler)

   
     I couldn't hold a candle to the masses who showed up to memorialize the man ...
   
     But quietly this night I offer my own silent tribute as I pause to remember one who meant so much to so many...and so much to me, both professionally and personally

      His life was about freedom and justice. I've never known a person who so cherished the honor of living in a country founded on free speech-- It's a thing so common, a thing so many of us take it for granted, but John Seigenthaler never did.
 
     There wasn't a dry eye in the cathedral as Emmylou sang "We Shall Overcome"... And walking his draped casket down the aisle while the congregation sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic was equally fitting.

     There is not a journalist living, who hasn't admired this man and all he stood for. People far beyond Nashville have been touched by his work.

     That I was blessed to know him personally stops me in my tracks. That he graciously advised and encouraged me in my own career, is an honor. He was a regular guest on our own shows always livening up the conversation, and bringing our topics an additional layer of reflection. That he graciously invited me to guest on his show when my first book came out, I count among my highest honors. But that he was my friend, is the greatest blessing of all.

     Rest in peace John Seigenthaler. The world has truly lost a legend, but indeed heaven is a brighter place, for adding your light among its stars.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...