Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Good Side of Facebook

     While my daily blog here is designed to share the genuine day-to-day discoveries, challenges and experiences of a first time farmer (in real time/as I'm uncovering them), I am a writer by profession and a procrastinator by habit. Adding to this less than desirable part of that equation (i.e. the procrastination) is an ever growing list of things to distract that, if not watched carefully, can consume literally hours of productive, creative energy...Things like hugging a puppy one more time, or checking on my FB buds before getting down to business...(More times than not the two are connected. I look down to see said precious puppy face, and my first inclination is to reach and hug; my second is to reach for a camera and post it.)

     We've become a nation of short-attention spans. Homo sapiens as a species may have developed larger brains, but I'm convinced the synapses inside those brains are shorter than ever. Like that goofy dog in the movie, UP, "Squirrel!" is the phrase de jure as everyone I know (me included) has lived the concept.

      Mindless time consumption is a topic I'll take up again and again as I notice it more and more in my own life, but have yet to find its solution. (To the contrary, I'm as addicted to these short term mental fixes as anyone, despite the fact that I am quite certain my friends don't need me checking in sporadically throughout the day when my mind wants to think about something else.)

     Still and so, there are those momentary lapses where, checkin in, logging on, scrolling through the newsfeed or just checking your private messages lands you something that shifts the tide of an otherwise dwindling attention span. It wakes you up. It resonates. It makes you want to share it with another as it makes you feel, "Yes~ That's it. He so nailed it."

     Such a post was shared with me today...I almost didn't check it out, as Jim Carrey is a bit over the top for my blood, but in this occasion, as he's giving the commencement speech for a university many people didn't know existed (that being MIU, or Maharishi International University in Iowa), well, I wasn't quite sure which part excited me more...that Jim Carrey had a seriously deep spiritual side to him, or that the university had this many folks graduating. (To attend MIU you must commit to meditating twice daily. Its instructors are advanced meditators and their philosophy for world peace is one that is literally being tested and proven scientifically...a topic I shall write more on in days to come.)

     For now, I share a message forwarded to me and in doing so, take a moment to forgive myself for spending too much time on the computer, as instances like this, serve to inspire me throughout the rest of my day if not my week as I ponder its message in the midst of endless farm chores.

     Here's hoping it blesses you too~    
     http://www.mobiledia.com/news/199433.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...