Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Puppy Love/Puppy Guilt (Two Sides to Every Story)

Newly reacquainted with the expression “puppy love” thanks to a weekend shared with 2 of TJs offspring, I got curious about the phrase, as it’s one I’ve so far, never put in a book.
Still not sure who coined it, but Donnie Osmond made it famous. The more technical definition of puppy love refers to that stage of human development where instant giddiness trumps the deeper, more meaningful version of things. Sadly, our culture too often confuses, if not prefers puppy love to the real deal, as puppy love more or less happens TO you, where as true love actually requires some work.
You can scroll through Facebook on any given day and see the other kind of love we’re talking about. Loss of a family pet often outranks human loss (then again, for some of us, pets are family and many are easier to love than some humans).
We may barely know the person whose Fido just crossed the rainbow bridge, but we know too well that feeling—the downside to having loved so deeply, the empty pain of saying goodbye to something that loved and trusted us so unconditionally. You can tell by the age of the dog and the essence of the photo just what joy this creature added to the journey….
So it was an interesting juxtaposition of emotions yesterday to get a call centering on the other side of this equation. No sooner was I reliving the joys of innocent puppies with their intoxicating puppy breath and little happy waggy tails, do I hear from a friend, whose life has taken on some new challenges resulting in the decision to let go of their beloved pets, that raising 6-month old pups is a adding another layer of stress to lives with health factors and life decisions in the balance.
To be clear, these are no pet slackers. These folks know the breed; have owned them before. If I were a dog, I’d want to be theirs. No, this decision is breaking their hearts and I could hear it in her voice. These pups wound up the luckiest of the lot in that they nailed a huge farm, lots of land to run on, air conditioned living quarters…the whole nine yards. They were fed, loved, brushed and walked morning and evening and in between were given free access to fenced in fields where they could chase rabbits and deer to their little hearts’ content. And while the owners look to place them in the same or better, it did prompt a most tearful and meaningful conversation as we reflected on life, its phases and what happens as we age in an age with so many more demands on our time. How does one stop the merry-go-round and get off, save to painstakingly eliminate each and every stress element one at a time?
Let the record reflect, no one loves her critters more than I do, but it IS a commitment. And unless you’re wealthy enough to afford live in help, it’s a commitment, once made, that you alone are responsible for. Most of us recall our first puppy or our first kitten. These always came with the lecture of “Now YOU’RE going to take care of it, right?” Followed by “Oh yes, Mommy. I’ll do it! I’ll do anything. Can I puh-leeeeease just have this puppy?”
It usually took about 3 weeks for us to wonder if someone else was ever going to help us out. The good news is, if we DID have a slumber party to attend or a week-long visit to Gran’s, the pup magically got cared for. Someone besides us always managed to get things handled. Arrangements were made on our behalf.
But as an adult, I’m the one making arrangements. I’m the one that feels the guilt if my dinner meeting runs late and it’s dark before I’m back to feed critters. I’m the one who hears goats bleating if I sleep in on a Saturday. I’m the one who feels the jabbing emotions when someone gets hurt and I can’t make the vet get here fast enough.
I want to be very clear on this point, because for all the things I’m learning here on the farm, the number one thing is “It Takes A Village” as feeling the responsibility for every single life is not always a great feeling. For sure, the joy outweighs the pain; if it didn’t I wouldn’t be doing it, but responsibility…better yet, the FEELING so responsible, can overtake you if you’re not careful.
Such was the sound in my friend’s voice. The joy these pups had brought was undeniable, and the pain she knew she was in for when saying goodbye, added a whole ‘nother layer to the strain. We know this going in: puppy love-turned-full blown dog commitment comes with both. Lest anyone try to tell you there’s never a stressful moment behind these smiling-eyed, adorable creatures, make no mistake…There are plenty.
As with pups, as with people, as with houses…jobs…as with LIFE, the goal is no longer all perfect/all happy all the time, for this is an unrealistic expectation. Make that your goal and you WILL fail a good percentage of the time and that undercurrent feeling of failure (or even foreboding of failure) is right up there with internalized guilt for all you did but could’ve done better.
It was a deeply moving and very real conversation to say “Hey, you know what? I feel that feeling at least 5 times a day. I wake up knowing I can’t so much as make coffee until the kids are tended to. The second they see my feet hit the steps, they’re talking me through the process. Do I weary of it? Yes. Do I love them? Yes. This is not an either or.”
The older I get, the more realistic I get about things that, in my youth, I clearly idealized…Things like puppies being perfect all the time, never tearing up a shoe or messing up my floor… Things like goats that need de-worming and vet bills that go with the territory.
To even hope for peace and balance means I have to stop and allow for both sides, for it takes both to make up life. You can’t have the one without the other. As a matter of fact it’s because of one that we learn to respect the other, and from this back and forth we hopefully grow.
As with my critters…as with my garden…there is a yin and a yang to everything living…a balance and a counter balance. One must have rain AND sun. We live the good and the bad. To want for only one—the happy, is unrealistic; it’s shallow; it’s ego talk. Spirit grows and thrives from living and allowing the emotions stemming from both.
And if one day, we get really wise, I pray we learn to release the tendency for finding fault with ourselves and allowing guilt to run the show. There is no guilt in awareness. There is no wrong in saying “I must make a change.” To the contrary. The greater harm is to deny a change is needed.
As scripture and the lovely group The Byrds have taught us ~


“To everything (turn, turn, turn) there is a season (turn, turn, turn)”


May we one day learn to cut ourselves some slack when it’s time to let go. May we gently take from these experience, the memories that made us laugh, the moments that made us cry and the lessons that came from both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...