Sunday, July 6, 2014

In A Pretty Pickle


     With more time on my hands than I bargained for, and more cucumbers than one person can consume (OR distribute before they start to change colors), I decided to make the most of what remained of my holiday weekend and pickle the night away.
     While canning is a brand new proposition (one I hope to perfect, while learning from those who've done it for years), I do have a favorite recipe that I love making for friends almost as much as I love eating all by myself, and that is "Christmas Pickles"~
        For those of you who've never tried your hand at this sport, it is a tad time consuming and it will mess up your kitchen (and turn your fingertips red), but it's well worth the effort, PLUS it's a good starting point for those who've not yet mastered the whole "sealing" proposition on their mason jars. It was my initial foray into pickling, the results of which I keep thinking I'll distribute for Christmas presents, but so far, I've never had any jars left by Christmas, as these are my favorite pickles on the planet. (Why? Because they're sweet like bread and butter pickles, but they have a cinnamon flavor going for them, thanks to the bag of red hots you pour into the equation!)
     A tested, tried and true one, this one's going in the next cookbook for sure~ But if you're interested, write to me personally and I'll forward you the recipe so you can try it for yourself~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matters of the Heart (an update from the girl who's had open heart surgery)

         Seems a good time for a blog...      I am happy to report I am home from the hospital, new ticker in tact...resting and on the ...